Wonder if this means vga actually does win over dvi in this use case.

For one I will make sure the monitors allow analog and digital input, just
in case.

On a desktop or laptop the answer is simple. Digital > analog.

At least vga cables are an inexpensive alternative to dvi boosters or fibre
dvi cables.