On 8/30/2010, Gene wrote
>> >  Guys, would you recommend some inexpensive encoder type hand controls?
>> >  I would like to control "speed override" with a rugged encoder type
>> >  rotary control.
>> >
> A thought that I have played with in my mind, and gone as far as to order a
> few parts, is to use a more or less std small stepper motor with 12 or 24
> volt rated coils, as an encoder by feeding it to a pair of comparators
> which should give a quadrature A&  B output.  I haven't worked out a 100%
> reliable method of protecting the comparator inputs from the over-voltage a
> fast spin of the knob on the motor shaft would feed them, nor have I worked
> out the most reliable hysteresis feedback to prevent low level vibrations
> and such from outputting spurious signals.  But, based on the fact that the
> average $3 stepper motor is also a heck of a good generator, I see no
> reason why it couldn't be done.
Gene:

I had what seemed a brilliant "aha" several years ago while idly
spinning a stepper motor in my hands and feeling the detent-like
resistance. Gee, it could almost be an electromagnetic encoder, I
thought. My sense of discovery dimmed when I went Googling and
discovered that only about a gazillion others had got there before me :-(

Still, the advantage of being a johnny-come-lately is that I could
profit from the experiences of others. I particularly liked the notion I
came across of biasing a motor winding to improve the signal-to-noise
ratio. I doubt I would have come up with that by myself.

See, for example,
http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/sensor/pos/enc/stepper_as_encoder.htm

Regards,
Kent

PS - I got bogged down in family health crises and never got around to
testing the approach and posting the results, at least not yet. Maybe
someday.