On 21 September 2010 16:58, Dale Grover <dgro...@redcedar.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have specific knowledge about what they intended as drive
> signals?  I was tempted to replace the two circuits with just one,
> with an adjustable one-shot to drive the solenoid full, then a gated
> PWM to provide the holding current.  (And replace those relays with a
> MOSFET.)  But then I wondered if drilling or milling required a
> different set of timing than straight engraving?

PWM sounds like a better way to go.
In theory you could then connect the PWM to the Z-position-cmd in HAL.
G0 Z1 would be full-power into the solenoid, G0 Z0.5 half-power, and
G1 Z0.5 F20 (or similar) would be a slowly ramping PWM suitable for
gently pushing a drill bit.
Setting Z-axis max velocity would determine how long a G0Z0 took to
complete, you could then follow each with a G0Z0.5 to apply the
holding current.

--
atp