I have just completed the conversion of my HERMLE 801 to EMC2. Rigid tapping
was the last function to implement. From my experience you need an encoder
coupled to the spindle. I used a simple but reliable encoder made by CUI
(AMT102, www.cui.com). With the A, B and Index pulses EMC knows the
direction as well as the RPM of the spindle. You need to be able to reverse
the spindle motor. The M3 and M4 commands should work and be able to change
the motor direction. The G33.1 code for rigid tapping makes use of all these
inputs and does a perfect job. The spindle-at-speed input to EMC is also
important. If the speed is not near the commanded speed EMC will wait until
it is before it actually starts tapping. On my machine I have to turn a
wheel to adjust the speeds manually. Make sure the traj-thread is set to
servo-thread, otherwise EMC struggles to follow the spindle.

Hope this helps.
Rudy