On 9/27/2010 Jon Elson wrote:
> Oh, wow!  Not only the processor, but the touch screen too, for $170!
> I've been working with the Beagle board, which is a quite impressive CPU,
> with USB and SD card for "hard drive", plus XDVI video.  Runs Linux of
> your choice
> great.  The ARM maintainer for RTAI is currently working on an RTAI
> port, but it
> isn't done yet.  It uses the OMAP3530 CPU.  What CPU is in the Infocast?

Jon:

Others already answered the CPU question.

I have a BeagleBoard-xM too (it arrived the day before I discovered the
Infocast). In fact, I used the toolchain and ScratchBox2 I had assembled
for the BB to cross-compile Nano-X for the Infocast.

Like the BB, the Infocast can run the O/S of your choice. The full
source for the Linux used in the Infocast is available on the Web (one
could insert RTAI but without accessible I/O pins it's pretty academic).
There are hints that some are trying to port Android to the Infocast.
Somewhere I'm sure someone is trying to port WindowsCE or Windows Mobile
to it as well. The openness of this product is amazing. They may sell
more to hackers than to appliance users. Of course, they may not sell
enough to continue the line. These days vendors are just as fickle as
the marketplace.

I have different applications in mind for the two systems but it is
convenient that they share the same ARM technology so I have to less to
learn. One can never have too many toys, but time is a scarce resource.

The Mini35 from Industrial ARMWorks that Mike Payson pointed out to Kirk
was another surprise to me. The cost for the system is remarkable. I
would choose it over an Arduino for many applications.

Regards,
Kent