Hi Igor,
> I think that the trend in industrial machines, is to use Ethernet as
> much as possible inside industrial machines. On the surface, it
> appears to be a very attractive option, with all devices hooked up to
> the network switch and communicating seamlessly, without the mess of
> wires. What are the implications of this for EMC?
I think you have industrial ethernet based, so called fieldbusses, in mind.
(fieldbus=realtime bus for industrial applications).
There are several solutions like EtherCAT, PROFINet, Ethernet powerlink,
EthernetIP, Sercos III and so on.

We created a similar solution with a "old fashioned" fieldbus,
so we can estimate what it means to make the EMC "ethernet-compatible".
We choose CAN with CANOpen protocol.
Because of the CAN limitation to 1Mbit/s we had to use 2 CAN busses.
We ported our CANOpen multimaster stack on RTAI Linux and used it to control
standard hardware (Danaher servostar 600 servo converter, telemecanic
converter (Altivar 31)
and beckhoff I/O for auxillary tasks)

The resulting solution is very smart regarding the cableing and the
diagnostics that
can be done using a fieldbus.
And of course it fullfills the industrial effords of electrical
isolation and installation.

However, the solution is NOT very portabel, because standardisation of
CANOpen profiles
are not detailed enought / are not implemented in perfect way by the
manufacturers.
This is not a problem for the simple I/O or simple converter.
But to close the servoloop over a bus needs to tune communication and
servo parameters
in deep detail. And this tuning parameters are not implemented in the
same way
when comparing two different manufacturers (they differ even in product
families from
one manufacturer :-) ).
This makes it an expert task to make other components work.
So I thinks for an open source project it's a good choise to make
interfacing the hardware as easy as possible. And this is archived by using
stepper (dir/clk) or analog (+-10V & quadratur encoder) interface.

BTW:
I don't know any COMPLETE open source stack master for fieldbusses
(neither classic nor ethernet).
This is very special software, and a lot of work to do.
It took about 3 years to write our CANOpen Master stack
and to optimize it for hard realtime applications like servo control.

BTW2:
EthernetPowerlink provides fundamental open source software,
but AFAIK it lacks the device profiles.
But this may be the best starting point for a open source solution.

HTH

Rainer,
alias BeakersBestFriend

                Ingenieurbüro Stelzer

           Inhaber:  Dipl.-Ing. (RWTH) Rainer Stelzer
           Adresse:  Römerstrasse 37a
                     47638 Straelen

             Mobil:  (++49) 0173-5391086
           Telefon:  (++49) 02834-425058