From: Andy Pugh [mailto:a...@andypugh.fsnet.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:16 AM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] 5i20 Servo and General Input / Output

On 29 September 2010 09:29, Caner <cnr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to use one "Mesa 5i20" for a 6 axis servo controller. I thought
> to use two 7i33 Servo Interface for axes. So i thought that i would be
> using HostMot2's "8-channel servo plus 4 step/dir generators" option.
> However it writes 4step/dir generators, i don't need any step/dir
> generators, so do i have possibility to use "Mesa 5i20"'s other 24 pins
> for general Input/Output

Yes. You specify how many of each type of component you want in the
HAL file init string. If you specify no step-dir modules then all
those pins become available as general IO.

This is also true of unused pins on the headers that connect to
daughter boards, but breaking those out to use them is a little more
difficult (but it is a physical wiring issue, not a
software/configuration one)

> Can i handle these 6 axis and some I/O with using one
> 5i20?

Yes. However, as the other respondant said, consider getting the 5i23.
That supports a wider range of firmwares, including one that lets you
hang 8x 8i20 off of a single header. Note that there is no 8i20
support at the EMC2 end of the chain at the moment, but it is being
actively worked on.

--
atp

This communication is for the use of the intended recipient only. It may
intended recipient of this communication, the disclosure, copying, distribution
or use hereof is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please advise me by return e-mail or by telephone and then delete it
immediately.