Hi Don,
I really sounds like you have a bad burn of the 10.04 live CD or your
cdrom drive is having issues. I am not sure on the 8.04 messages,
perhaps using the dmesg command will provide more information ( or look
at /var/log/messages file to see what complaints you are getting on
booting)
cheers

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 16:26 -0400, Don Stanley wrote:
> Hi All;
> To support the Mill upgrades to EMC2 I purchased
> two D510MO with 2GB RAM each and the MI-100
> chassis.
> (If anyone is interested, the extra $12 and got a)
> (temporature speed controlled fan cooled chassis)
> (with two 4 inch wide slots and one 5.625 inch wide)
> (slot and room for the extra cables)
>
> The problems are:
> On both computers, when I boot EMC 8.04 live disk, in
> the "No Change to the Computer mode" using a
> USB external CD/DVD drive. All goes well until after
> the orange rectangle goes back and forth then the screen
> goes to text only with the following message:
> udevd-event[1293]: run_program '/sbin/modprob' abnormal exit
>
> On Computer #1 EMC 10.04 live disk, No Change Mode,
> boots fine. Seems to take 10-15 minutes. When done the latency
> test does nothing. When I attempt to load a example
> machine configuration (.ini and .hal files) also nothing.
> All ubuntu function sceme to work fine.
>
> On Computer #2 EMC 10.04 live disk, No Change, loads
> for 5- 10 minutes and starts an endless string of the following messages:
> [ nnn.nnnnnnn] SQUASHFS error unable to Read directory Block [287e7275]
> [ nnn.nnnnnnn] SQUASHFS error unable to Read metadata cache entry [287e7275]
>
> Can someone tell me the problem. (I sure hope it's me)
>
>     Thanks
>         Don

Lawrence Glaister VE7IT              mailto:ve...@shaw.ca
1462 Madrona Drive