Stuart Stevenson wrote:
>   The most important finding is the ultimate usefulness of tapping this way.
> It seems novel but is it a useful tool? Putting it on the Cinci or Viper for
> 5 axis MPG tapping would be killer!

Well, I don't do those hideous aerospace metals.  But, I have done some
rigid tapping in
aluminum with 2-56 up to 10-32 taps, and found it to be great!  I have
no desire to do
these by hand, even if the power is supplied by a motor.  I have broken
a couple taps.
One thing that gave me fits was that my spindle VFD kept shutting down
with an "electronic overtemp"
fault.  I finally figured out this really meant the electronic motor
protection feature was
shutting it down to save the motor, but the Bridgeport motor was
purposely derated to
allow plug reversing all day, so it was NOT in any danger of actually
overheating.
So, I just turned off this option.  After that, I was able to do
hundreds of holes with no
broken taps.  I use combo drill-taps for the thinner materials, and
spiral point taps for the thicker
stuff, after pre-drilling.  I use alum-tap as a tapping fluid, it is
certainly magic stuff.

So, at least for the stuff I do, I really don't think it would be
anything I'd use.

The haptic feedback sounds interesting, but with the mass of even a
Bridgeport motor
behind it, I think you'd break the tap before the motor could stop and
reverse.  When hand
tapping, there is so little mass turning the tap that you can stop and
reverse easily when
you feel a bind-up developing.

Jon