Hi Stuart,

I'd like to offer some general observations and thoughts.

Tapping requires a very close coordination of spindle rpm and axis
feedrate.

MPG axis feedrate by it's nature varies constantly as the operator
rotates the MPG slightly faster or slower.

Attempting to create a system where the spindle rpm's could be
adjusted in real time to match the constantly varying feedrate caused
by the inconsistent rpm of MPG input would be a significant challenge
if it is doable.  If it is doable, what happens when the operator
inadvertedly reverses direction with the MPG?  The spindle would have
to stop instantly and reverse direction.

Current rigid tapping cycles usually get the spindle rotating at a
fixed rpm and then match the axis feedrate to the rpm.  When the tap
reaches the programmed depth (first peck or final) the spindle rpm and
axis feedrate decelerate together, stop and then accelerate together
as the spindle direction and axis direction are reversed.

Hope this helps.

Have a good day,

Jim Fleig
CNC Services