On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 15:23 +1100, Erik Christiansen wrote:
... snip
> It's easier if you don't start from scratch. There is:
>
> http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/app_notes.asp?family_id=607
>
> Scroll/find your way to the AVR325 application note.
> ("AVR325: High-speed Interface to Host EPP Parallel Port")
>
> There's the PDF, and the source code (blue CD icon). (The code is in
... snip

I've read the app note but missed the blue icon. I found two source
files, one in DOS Turbo C for the PC host, then the AVR client asm
source. They should come in handy as a guide.

> There's "AVR1301: Using the XMEGA DAC" there, as well.
>
> I found a good EPP specification document long ago. It may have been
> this:    http://www.beyondlogic.org/epp/epp.htm
> which the "IEEE 1284" wikipedia page references. Nope, I'll keep
> looking.
>
> Without having looked at the EMC2 code, I'd guess that tweaks of its
> parport driver may be needed to query and configure any special stuff
> you need, unless that can be handled by the driver's caller, depending
> on how generic the driver is.
>
> It may be possible to just have HAL do writes to control addresses for
> configuration, and data writes to feed the DACs, if my vague
> recollection of EPP capabilities is anywhere near the mark.

I got the impression that EPP is just a way to get a byte across the
cable. What is in the byte and how many it takes is up to me. I could
have the first byte be a command or register address (like Modbus) and
the subsequent bytes be data. Probably what I'll do is get it wired up
and then fumble with it until it works, or goes pop.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html