On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 23:27 +0000, Andy Pugh wrote:
> On 12 November 2010 23:17, Peter Cauchy <nald...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I found my direction pin was not able to change state using the output
> > from the parallel port, but expected a full 5v to change direction.
>
> So give it 5V!
>
> Actually I would be very surprised if it didn't float to whatever is
> on the OPTO pin if disconnected.
>
> You do have a nice solid 5V to the OPTO pin?

Peter, I'm not clear on what is causing the problem, is it that OPTO
wasn't hooked up, or OPTO was powered with 3 Volts, or the PC parallel
port is a 3 Volt variety? Page 13 of the user's manual indicates OPTO
needs 4.5 to 6.0 Volts. The inputs are shown as having OPTO to (OPTO -
1) Volts (4 to 5V if OPTO=5V) for a HIGH and 0 to .8 Volts for a LOW. A
voltmeter could be used to check HIGH and LOW, an oscilloscope might be
better. Just be careful using 5 Volts with a 3 Volt parallel port, if
that is what you have. If you could post a schematic of how you have the
driver hooked up to the parallel port, this may help me understand
what's up.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html