On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 21:00 -0500, Peter Cauchy wrote:
> Thanks for the help so far, and here is more info.
>
> If the parallel port is not putting out BTW 4 and 5v, I do not
> understand how to increase this.

A breakout board like this one:
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=45

has buffer chips on it that will use the low voltage or low current
signals from the parallel port, then amplifies them to 5 Volts and up to
24 milliamps. The chip is a 74ACT245:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/74/74ACT245.pdf

If you look on page 5, in the table DC Electrical Characteristics for
ACT, the first line says Vih, Minimum High Level Input Voltage, Typ. 1.5
V; and Vil, Maximum Low Level Input Voltage, Typ. 1.5 V. This means,
typically anything in an input that is higher than 1.5 Volts will be
output as a High, anything lower will be ouput as a Low. The typical
output voltages are just below, with High being 4.5 Volts and Low
being .001 Volts, typically. So the input transition point is in the
middle for 3 Volt signals, but also high enough to work with 5 Volts
signals too. The 4.5 Volt high buffer output is higher than the 4 Volts
what your driver will consider a high input, so the buffer or breakout
board should work fine. Also the Slo-syn manual (page 13) says that a
low on an input will draw 16 milliamps. Parallel ports may only supply a
few milliamps. The buffer chip above supplies 24 milliamps per output,
so your okay here too. You can wire up your own buffer circuit board or
use a store bought one like the one above.

> I am running the OPTO off the USB 5v supply.  The parallel port, USB and
> motor supply ground are all tied together.  The USB 5v is tied to OPTO.
> Pin 7 on parallel port is tied to DIR and pin 8 to PULSE.  The other
> inputs are left unconnected.

This should work for now. You can use AWO and RCDE later.

> I have 3 other drives that this setup works with fine, but not with
> these ss2000md7's.

It is not clear to me, from the manual, how the driver is powered. My
current thinking is that the typical driver has two separate sections,
one for logic and the other the motor control. They have two separate
power inputs and separate grounds, but with the Slo-syn the motor power
supply is the only power input that is indicated. The motor supply is
unregulated and the motor supply voltage needs to match the motor
specifications (24 to 75 Volts), so it seems it would be difficult to
get a regulated logic supply from it. Hopefully someone here can
enlighten me.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html