Hello gentlemen,
I have another solution for the power supply problem: move to Europe! In
our village (270 some people) we have two transformer stations on a
grid-connected 20 kV three-phase line. The power lines go to (or come
from) three neighboring villages and eventually end up at the region's
110 kV-transformer station about 20 km away.

Our house has a 400V, 50 A, 3-phase supply as all the houses do, this is
average. All the cabling is under the roads under ground, in our street
a PVC cable 3x75 mm sq. + 50 mm sq.for the middle conductor (implicit
ground). This is standard für all single houses, a corresponding bit
more for larger ones. I have experienced one or two power failures since
we live here (32 years). In a larger city like  Munich, for instance, 50
km from us, power failures are completely unknown. I have experienced
one when I was a little boy. Sometimes we have short power drops when
lighning hit the power line, but only for a few sine periods, so most
PC's and other appliances don't even recognize it. America should
improve their energy supply!

By the way: I have learned electricity, house wiring and TV repair at
high school in Michigan some 45 years ago and know what the difference ist!

Peter Blodow