On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 11:29 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
> dave wrote:
> > Hi Jack,
> >
> > Have you computed the real costs of running a diesel powered genset
> for > local power. It comes out to be not very attractive.
> > Just the cost of the fuel alone is more per KWH than the grid.
> >
> Yes, but if you are 20 miles from the grid, and the only person out
> there who wants to hook up, the power company will usually charge you
> a HUGE fee, well over $10K to bring out the lines.  If you are really
... snip

I have been giving this some thought. If the grid is available, the only
way off-grid power makes since is if it's almost free. One of my
thoughts is to run my generator head with a steam engine which could
burn, wood, waste oil, propane, whatever. If necessary, enough batteries
would be needed to fill the gap when the mains get interrupted. There
would be enough batteries to to keep the power up until the
hydro-generator kicks in. The hydro source would be a tank on a tower,
or a tank at the top of my hill with the turbine at the bottom. The tank
would be pumped up when I have excess power. Hopefully there would be
enough hydro to allow enough time to get the steam engine up to speed.
Or maybe have the hydro turbine do double duty as a water and steam
turbine. Anyway, this is some of what I think about when I do my morning
thinking.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html