Prompted by a query on the forums on the age-old question of using
encoders with steppers, I started wondering about wierd and wonderful
ways to make it work.

The issue is that steppers just don't have the right characterstics to
work in a servo loop, as trying to run them harder to recover a missed
step will probably make things worse.

So, I pondered the idea of using a PID with a unity feedforward term
and a negative PGain, so that as long as there is no error the system
works as a normal stepper setup, but if there is a missed step then
the error * Pgain would back the velocity off a bit. I think the
drawback of this is that there is nothing to claw the error back,
though perhaps a slow I with a higher limit than the P might do it.

Probably a more promising idea is to not attempt to recover position
immediately, but to link the output of a PID to the
motion.adaptive-feed pin, so that any missed steps result in the
system backing-off the feedrate.You would probably want a slow-I PID
as a separate component to claw back the missed steps once the
feedrate has slowed enough.

Any thoughts?

--
atp
"Torque wrenches are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"