On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:13:15 -0600, you wrote:

>I have used many VFDs, but in all of them the stopping time is
>programmed in terms of seconds.
>
>This does not translate well into operating machine tools with
>multiple speeds. On such tools, slowly rotating spindle can be stopped
>quickly and more time is needed to stop a fast rotating spindle. If
>frequency is decreased too rapidly, the VFD would fault out on
>overvoltage on the DC bus.
>
>Why don't they have VFDs with adaptive stopping cycle, so that they
>reduce the frequency to maintain high bus voltage (to be dumped into
>the brake resistor), adaptively, as opposed to mindlessly doing it on
>a predetermined linear scale?

Have a look at Telemechanique Altivar Series.

Linear acceleration or deceleration ramp times are from .1 to 999.9
seconds. They also have S, U or custom ramp and multiple ramp switching.
If you set the decel ramp to a very short time, they can automatically
adapt the ramp function to prevent faulting. They use DC injection
braking on the above functions, not Braking resistors.

Braking resistors don't lend themselves well to fancy behaviour and are
more suited to stopping high inertia fixed speed machines in a given
time.

Steve Blackmore