I think worrying about EMC2 becoming overly commercialized right now is a
bit like worrying that you may be killed by a falling space elevator (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator). Maybe it is possible but you
are probably safe for at least a few decades.

In the worst case, I think what you would see is a forking of the project,
with a commercial company maintaining a set of code that, while open-source,
over time becomes completely incompatible with the main EMC2 branch. Perhaps
this becomes much more popular than the EMC2 project.

As it happens, this describes almost exactly what happened with the original
EMC and Mach. Has Mach's popularity made the EMC2 project weaker? I don't
think so. I think it probably does more to grow the whole DIY CNC movement
(where the lines between amateur and professional can be very fuzzy) which
eventually leads more people to the EMC2 Project.