On 16 December 2010 17:43, Jeff Pollard <xylo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.xylotex.com/x86/Xylotex86.htm

That's very cute.

>  Since I would like to also run under EMC2 I loaded the Ubuntu 10.04 and
> started running the Stepconf wizard.  I changed the port address to 0x170 and
> then tried to jog the X axis (just to see if I could get signal access on the
> IDE port).  I ended up getting an error about a broken pipe

I am absolutely no expert, but I suspect that the problem is that the
parport driver expects to find a parallel port, not an IDE port and
some form of handshaking is breaking down.

It also sounds like you want to use the port for comms to a step
generator, not for actual step/dir signals so I suspect a specific
driver will be required, though that might not need to do very much
more than inb and outb to the port address.

--
atp
"Torque wrenches are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"