wrt to the toolchanger behaviour, I would say the master version works within
the limits outlined in Jeff's commit message. Yes, it retracts the window. No,
it still has issues, but it is unlikely they will bite you tomorrow. Or so I
hope. It isnt ready for prime time yet.

I do see the need to address this somewhat dark corner of EMC more thoroughly,
and since it's a part of EMC which - if hastily redesigned or having bugs - has
potentially quite damaging consequences, it "warrants more work".

There is an exchange starting on emc-developers which is really in the
"requirements for next steps" stage. I am willing to deal with this part of EMC
because this has been bugging me personally for a long time, but my machining
experience is so shallow that I depend on people with complicated setups and
industrial controls telling how to deal with these issue.

To give an example, I just got in private mail and just forwarded - a very good
reason why a random hardware toolchanger should be able to abort a tool-prepare
operation, and have that communicated to the user interface including the
cause: The tool prepare step looks for a tool in a certain position, but the
position is empty. Dealing with this - now that somebody told me, "duh" case -
in a sane way is clearly desirable.

So - go for master if you cant live without it, but expect a while until these
features shake out and trickle down to a release - I've been painting state
diagrams this evening only.

-Michael