I have a similar setup.

For text, I use the truetype tracer
For simple objects, I use paper, pencil with the MDI screen in Axis with my
tool at a safe height.

For complex objects, I use autocad and AC2GC lisp routine available off the
download section of cnczone.  C Radek also has a Acad to Gcode tool.

Personnally when I have the time, I play around with item 2 above.  It gets
my mind back into a pure mathematical frame and I get a much better
understanding of various gcodes.

CamBam is a windows based cadcam system.  I found it a bit fussy but it has
many good tools.  There is a 40 use download trial period.