On 1/29/2011 5:46 PM, gene heskett wrote:

> ISTR where I read that as being an emc capability someplace back in the fog
> of time, Mark.  Screw error mapping I believe it was called.
>
> But, so you don't have to, consider that if the saws can be replaced with
> wide diamond wheels, say like as used in the drill doctor, it seems like it
> would be possible to cobble up a g-code file to drive your machine and let
> it do the shaving.  If that isn't feasible, maybe the hand chuck of a
> dremel (its really too darned flexible IMO with its rubber mounted and too
> short spindle so it would take many, just barely kiss it passes) or maybe a
> Proxxon, with one of those drill doctor wheels mounted, could be strapped
> to the carriage for that duty long enough to fine tune the bed. Since a bed
> replacement would be a major operation, I would not shoot for anything but
> straight and flat using the carriage supports as the master, and any curves
> then could be done in the g-code with the knowledge that what you get is
> not going to need any great amount of hand sanding to get the desired taper
> in the finished product.
>
> OTOH, I imagine you _have_ considered that.  In which case ignore my
> ramblings. :)

I forgot to mention, the hold-down bed, as is much of the machine
itself, is aluminum.  I was able to tilt the saw spindle to fit a
sanding drum and work at shaving the top of the hold-down bed down, but
the problem was, at that angle, I don't have any way to ensure the
spindle housing gets locked into the mount solidly enough to do the
shaving with any accuracy.  It's what I did to get to the point where I
started draw filing and scraping.  The other issue is there's not really
any way to mount an external tool on the cutting head to fly cut, or
even mill.  The flattening of the hold-down bed was one of those issues
during the design phase that sorta slipped my mind.

So, it looks like it's further development of my Popeye fore arms...  ;-)

Thanks,
Mark