This Ethernet issue has come and gone in the past and the reason EMC2
doesn't use it, so far, is that it hasn't brought enough to the table to
justify the effort to make it happen. The current options for realtime
control on EMC2 are the parallel port and FPGA cards on the PCI bus. The
reason these have survived is that they present the shortest hardware
and software distance between a real time command and the hardware that
makes the command a reality, and also the shortest distance between
synchronous elements. Ideally, I think one would want the control
hardware connected directly to the I/O or memory pins on the processor.

On the other hand, to keep cost down, we need to deal with cheap
consumer hardware which is turning more towards plug and play, mobility,
entertainment and communications, which mostly doesn't apply to CNC
control. That is why I think using a laptop, which might be great for
watching movies on an airplane, and LAN technology for complex and
dynamic networks, is not appropriate for controlling one machine that
may only be moved twice in its life time. There is just too much fluff
between the processor and the CNC hardware. The only way to offset the
fluff is to increase the speed. The way to increase speed is to increase
complexity, which needs to be offset by more speed ... (BTW, SPI is low
fluff and speedy)

Frankly, I think the desktop PC / parallel port / PCI/FPGA solutions we
have now are the best balance of cost and speed, and will be for at
least the next five years. I do see a long term trend where desktop PC's
will go away and we will need to find a different platform. I think the
hardware will still be available, but will move to the specialty market
and become expensive.

I predict that the media and communications trend for consumer products
will close that area for the next platform. With the increase in home
and automotive automation, an appliance or engine controller might be
the next platform, but these won't be open. The recent success with
Arduino (RepRap?) may suggest that the next CNC platform may be a ground
up, grass roots redesign -- open hardware for the existing open
software. I plan on trying to direct my effort there.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html