On 2/13/2011 12:41 PM, John Thornton wrote:
> I'm measuring the cabinet temperature of a smoker with a range of 100F -
> 350F and internal food temperatures from 40F to 250F or so. The
> thermocouples I'm using are Auber Instruments smoker and meat
> thermocouples. All the temperature devices are in the same Arduino Uno
> enclosure except for the thermocouples which are in the smoker cabinet.
>   From some discussion on the IRC a while ago the 4052 mux with the 6075
> (just because of package) seem to be the best fit ATM for me.
>
> Thanks
> John

John:

[Intermingling top posting (as you seem to be doing) and bottom posting
(as I'm doing here) makes for confusing messages, so I've deleted the
previously quoted material.]

It looks like Auber sells mostly type-K thermocouples. Looking up the
NIST type-K reference table, which is referenced to 32 deg-F, I see the
following values.

Temp        Thermoelectric voltage
(deg-F)                (millivolts)
32                           0.000
40                           0.176
68                           0.798
100                        1.521
250                        4.965
350                        7.207

If your reference junction is at room temperature (let's assume it to be
68 deg-F), then for the temperatures you mention, your multiplexer and
digitizer have to deal with thermocouple voltages from -0.622 mV to
6.409 mV.

Looking again at the reference table, the sensitivity of a type-K
thermocouple is roughly 23 microvolts/deg-F in the temperature range
you're interested in.

These design parameters aren't pushing the state of the art, but they do
require attention in your implementation.

Possibly the most important point, which is mentioned in the application
note, is making sure that you have an isothermal environment at the mux
connection block and that both this block and the mux and digitizer are
in thermal equilibrium.

I'll be interested to hear what you finally choose and how it works.

Regards,
Kent