On Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:07:11 am Farzin Kamangar did opine:

> Dear EMC users,
>      I was asked to make the following change in the controller
> behaviour. As you know when we want to stop the running program and we
> push the stop program button, program stops and
> so does spindle from turning. Now the request is: when we stop the
> program by pressing the stop program button, we want the spindle to
> keep on turning if it was turning before pressing the
> stop program button. What do you think? This is because they do not want
> the tool in spindle to get stuck in the workpiece when we stop the
> program. We stop spindle by pressing spindle
> off button or by entering M5 in MDI later. Thanks
> Farzin

I think that will depend on how you are currently controlling the spindle.
In my own case I built my interface for that using a PMDX-106, which uses a
PWM signal from EMC to enable the spindle speed control in addition to a
rev signal that I use to bang the DPDT relays, all of which goes to manual
control at the flip of a center off switch on the PMDX-106.  But there is
no way to leave the spindle running except by using the manual controls on
the PMDX-106 as the PWM heartbeat from EMC stops when the esc/stop button
is pressed.

I personally have not had the bit get stuck as it will turn and cut itself
free for a turn or 2 after my steppers have frozen in place even though I
do have a 'suicide' brake setup that stops the motor in 2 or 3 revolutions.
Unforch, I can't say the same if the spindle is overloaded and trips its
shutdown, there I have broken a 1/4 solid carbide mill once, and smaller
mills are instantly shattered should they plug up while plowing in soft
alu.

I found that I generally make more use of the manual mode that I do of the
EMC controlled mode because that lets me adjust the spindle rpms directly,
for me much handier and more instinctive than the mouse based controls AXIS
gives.

I'm afraid that we do not have enough info to offer any meaningful advice.
We would need to know what your current control method is before a suitable
plan might be offered by one of the smarter people here.  If indeed one,
other than full manual can be suggested.

--
Cheers, Gene
<http://tinyurl.com/ddg5bz>