Igor Chudov wrote:

> Which brings up a question, can one tap with a plug tap first, on a CNC mill
> that is equipped for rigid tapping?

The problem is how do you synchronize two taps, in different holders, so
that the threads are synched?
I really don't think rigid tapping with a roughing and a finish tap is
practical.  Probably the only way to
do it would be to rigid tap with the plug tap, change to the finish tap
but leave the holder loose and manually
start it into the hole, and let the existing threads synch the tap.
Then, tighten the tap holder while it is still
in the hole.  This is not what I'd call a reasonable shop operation.

Jon