That's in there because I do 95% of my development on Windows.  I usually
develop stuff on windows then move it across to linux when it's almost done.
I still haven't found a development environment I like.  (tried eclipse,
qtcreator, but have reverted back to make and vim).

It can be removed.  What kind of error are you getting?  The #ifdef was
supposed to keep the windows stuff out.