Les,

I think something else may be wrong.

I have used Classic Ladder quite a bit and I don't have any CPU loading
issues at all.

The last setup I did was driving step and direction motors via a LPT
port on an Intel 330 based Atom motherboard.

Last year Jeff Epler cleaned up the Modbus code for CL and I did some
testing of it and the CPU loads were very minor.

Dave