Yahoo! I have a thread!

http://i.imgur.com/lcwDM.jpg

Thanks John and Andy for the pointers. This was a 1/4-20 in some random steel
from a box of screw machine ends (12L14 maybe?) so maybe close to my hardest
case as that's the biggest thread in the hardest material I use regularly for
screws. Most of the time I work in brass or 6061.

The lathe is a 7x mini so it has the usual drive bits with a something-tooth
gear on the back of the headstock. I suppose I could add a Hall sensor there
but if this setup keeps working like this I don't see any reason to bother.

Sent from my iPhone