Just as an update, I got five minutes today to try running the mill with the
same configuration as I did in stepconf, but using EMC proper and jogging
the axes. I only have X and Y connected but the both jogged successfully, so
when I get back from work travel I'm going to start looking at hooking up
some limit switches, the Z axis, and doing some gentle testing.

Thanks for all who replied, especially Kirk! If I hadn't actually tried EMC
proper, I would have been banging my head against stepconf for (probably)
ever..

Cheers,
KEv.