Firstly, thanks to all for the replies. There are certainly a lot of
knowledgeable bods out there!

I read through some of the suggested literature. I turned the speed of the
axes in stepconf down to 0.02mm/sec which gives me a pulse rate of 1Hz. I
also looked at the datasheet.

I won't bore you with the steps I took to get here, but I have narrowed down
the problem. I am hoping now I have pinpointed it someone can tell me I've
done something simple (and probably stupid) wrong..

Pin 4 is X-axis enable
Pin 5 is Z-axis enable
Pin 17 is Y-axis enable

I have assigned Amplifier enable to all three pins. I discovered that when
the "test this axis" button is clicked (and the axes are enabled), I get a
voltage on pin 4 but not 5 and 17. If I set pin 4 to "unused" and try again
I get a voltage on 5 but not on 17. If I set 5 to "unused" as well, I get a
voltage on 17. This enables the Y-axis so I can run the motor.

My understanding (following on from Chris' reply at the start of this
thread) is that I can assign this signal to multiple pins and it will pull
them all high when the signal is "on". However, it seems that it is only
pulling the lowest numbered assigned pin high.

Am I doing something wrong here? It appears (touching wood) that the board
is ok..

Cheers,
KEv.