On 6/25/2011 11:29 AM, David wrote:
>>> So, it is like the most useless machine, where one flips a toggle and
>>> then it immediately shuts itself off? The difference being that the
>>> saw is a useful machine.
>>>
>> Yes, but that would be safe.  ;-)
>>
>> My 7x12 horizontal bandsaw has the same setup as described.   A tab of
>> metal hangs down and contacts the on-off toggle switch when the saw
>> swings down all of the way.
>>
>> It is very simple.
>>
>> Another way to do it electrically is to use a contactor to switch the
>> motor power on and off and then construct a control circuit around the
>> contact so pushing one button energized the contactor and seals it on
>> with an auxilary contact, and then
>> a stop button and a "saw off" switch break the seal on the contactor.
>> The saw off switch would need to be normally closed, push to open etc.
>>
>> Here is an example of a seal-in circuit.
>> http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_6/4.html
>>
>> Push the Forward button and M1 stays on.   Ignore the line below that
>> has M2 as the output.
>>
>> Picture putting a normally closed stop pushbutton where the normally
>> closed M2 contact is, and also put in series a normally closed saw stop
>> switch.
>>
>> You lift the saw and push the start button, M1 comes on and stays on and
>> the saw runs, you push the stop button or the saw closes (contacts the
>> saw stop switch) and the saw goes off.
>>
>> The OL normally closed contact to the far right is the motor overload
>> contact for M1, which is not needed to create the functionality you want.
>>
>> The wiring shows it being driven by L1 and L2 which normally means line
>> voltage, usually 230 volts and up in the US, but the same thing could be
>> done with 24 volts DC or AC.
>>
>> Dave
>>
> Hi,
>
> The original power switch arrangement used the toggle switch but had to be
> changed when the requirement in certain jurisdictions became that the saw did
> not restart after a power outage.
>
> The people making these saws changed the power switch to a double button
> arrangement with a magnetically latching "ON" button and a separate "OFF"
> button in a small plastic pod near where the toggle switch was previously
> located.
>
> The action of these was arranged similar to the toggle switch with the saw
> starting when the "ON" button was pressed and the tab of metal on the saw
> frame pressed the "OFF" switch at the end of cut.
>
> This is somewhat less satisfactory when you need to switch the saw off from
> the
> button panel especially close to the end of cut. - better to switch off at the
> power switch?
>
> If you wished to go all stops out the ultimate setup I saw on a site
> recommending changes to the circuitry for use in schools saw a "Klockner
> Moeller" surface mount emergency stop button (big red and about 150 mm dia)
> [...]

<<

Ahh....  I could do much better than that....;-)

How about a horn attached to the circuitry that beeps for 5 seconds
warning all around that the saw is about to start up... then once the
saw starts running a flashing yellow light comes on to warn people that
the saw is actually running.
We could even carry it a bit further by putting light curtains around
the saw just in case an idiot tries to reach into the moving blade.
That would require the addition of a brake on the saw so it could be
stopped within a millisecond of the
light curtain break.    Seeing that it is a light curtain, a redundant
safety PLC would be a good match to insure safety system operation.

I recently programmed a Siemens Safety PLC that cost about $3000, a
light curtain system could cost an easy $3000, box, buttons, pneumatic
brake, framework for the light curtains, 24 volt power supply...
I'm guessing we are talking about $10,000 including programming.

The saw could be supplied by Harbor Freight and retrofit to the
application.   My saw cost $699.    So the entire system, along with the
idiot proofing would cost roughly $10699.   :-)

I know this sounds outrageous, but I work around safety systems like
this all of the time.

Dave