Coming to a similar conclusion.  Mach3 has created a low-level driver
that accesses the parallel port directly, so won't work with USB to
parallel adapters, nor most parallel ISA/PCI cards.

However, you're right that Mach3 may not need EPP/ECP modes.  More
importantly, I am wondering why we would need Mach3 on this machine.
Any custom software we're writing is in Linux, EMC2 (which will handle
pick-and-place stuff) has it's workaround, and WinXP is for the 3D
printer stuff , which uses the serial port/USB.

Think I'm good to go with this.  Thanks for the replies.

Cheers,
-Neil.