On Thu, 30 Jun 2011, Neil wrote:

> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:29:36 -0700
> From: Neil <emc_d...@narwani.org>
> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Newbie w/mobo question
>
> Maybe I over-simplified.  It's sort of a glorified breakout.  My
> understanding of the smoothstepper is that it is a motion control card
> (ie: handles acceleration, etc), whereas I don't see that the 7i43
> does that.

I dont think the smooth stepper handles acceleration, basically its a rate
generator just like the 7I43s stepgen. Acceleration management is not needed
in the low level hardware unless you have quite slow update rates (say less
than 1 KHz)

Acceleration would be easy to add to 7I43s stepgen but with EMCs 1KHz update
rate the accuracy gains are miniscule and the overhead of the additional
register access would be substantial.

> Cheers,
> -Neil.
>

> Quoting andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>:
>
>> On 30 June 2011 16:13, Neil <emc_d...@narwani.org> wrote:
>>
>>> So the Mesa looks like a breakout card of sorts.
>>
>> It's rather more than that. The closest equivalent in the Mach3 world
>> would be the SmoothStepper, but the 7i43 can do PWM, serial, SPI,
>> count encoders, make the tea...

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)