On Friday, July 22, 2011 03:46:56 PM Igor Chudov did opine:

> El cheapo ethernet routers cost $9.99:
>

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166034

That is not a router, but a hub that their sale copy writers think is a
switch AND its Rosewill, so in my experience, buyer beware, they are rarely
completely spec compliant.

> I believe that a cheap Ethernet thermometer would cost roughly as much,
> if someone wanted to produce it.

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Jack Coats <j...@coats.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Kirk Wallace
> >
> > <kwall...@wallacecompany.com> wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 13:36 -0500, Jack Coats wrote:
> > > ... snip

> > DallasSemi

> > > I need to monitor compost pile temperature and thought the above
> > > might work. Wireless with a solar panel (and irrigation control)
> > > would be good too. Hacking a GPIO pin or two, or a serial port
> > > might take some effort so its lower on my vast todo list. I'll be
> > > interested if someone comes up with something.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Kirk Wallace
> > > http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/
> > > http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html
> >
> > I have had a similar need.  Need to monitor internal temperature of
> > hay bales
> > that were put up a bit to wet.  They heat up and have been known to
> > combust.
> > Before stacking bales for storage, we have to let them cool down.
> > Finding out when it is ready to stack is important here.  Don't want
> > to let them out
> > to long.  Even a wifi that I could read 10' away would help a lot.

Cheers, gene
Don't take life seriously, you'll never get out alive.