On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 10:19 -0500, Igor Chudov wrote:
> I hope that Gary can fix his virus infestation.

I am not at all an expert, but my understanding is, e-mail messages are
basically simple text. Spammers using a simple text editor could type in
whatever addressee they want, without the addressee or their computer
ever being involved. The spammers just cruise the Internet looking for a
valid matching user name and address so it might help get the message
through filters or be recognized by the addressor.

Separately, hackers can hijack your computer and make it a spambot, but
that is a different matter and may or may not include the victim's
address. I look out for this by checking for outgoing traffic that seems
consistent and lasts for a long time, which might indicate large numbers
of e-mail messages being sent in a batch.

If someone is placing your name and address on e-mail as an addressee it
is most likely not your fault and there is really nothing you can do
about it.

As Andy indicated, much can be learned by looking at the complete
message contents especially the header:
http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/tips/header.html

--
Kirk Wallace