On Fri, 2011-08-12 at 10:31 +0100, andy pugh wrote:
> On 12 August 2011 08:09, Karl Cunningham <ka...@keckec.com> wrote:
>
> > I have no problem with the debounce logic, my question is one of pros
> > and cons and customs. Is it preferred to have all functions like this
> > contained within the one component?
>
> I would debounce in your comp. It keeps the HAL clearer, and will
> probably eat less CPU.

As I see it...

I tend to try to use existing components if I can. Older components will
have experience and trouble shooting behind them, and be better
understood by more people.

On the other hand, The order that the components or their functions run
can often be an issue. If users are allowed to set up the order, they
will often get the order wrong. If the debounce is inside the
Quick-Change component, when it runs can be permanently set for the
particular application.

Debounce is time dependent, some threads may not have enough time to run
within a thread period, unless the code just counts the successive
thread passes (I think the generic Debounce does this, but i don't
remember) then sets a state to allow a process to continue. I'm not a
good programmer, so grains of salt are appropriate here, but it may be
unwise to put any, many or long loops within a component function.

That's what comes to mind so far.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html