On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 18:08:15 +0100, you wrote:

>It's UK single phase, and neutral is only ever a few volts from earth.

I've regularly seen much higher than a few volts. I think it depends a
lot on location and local wiring condition/type and ground conditions.
Prior to transformer replacement in the substation near to me, 50V was
common! Just measured it now - it's 500mV or so, but it's raining
heavily. When it's dry it's higher, approx 10-15V.

Steve Blackmore