On 10/09/2011 12:22 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> On the Westamp A651, the SIG input just goes to a pot that goes to the
> velocity error
> amp summing junction.  So, it should make little difference whether the
> input is
> open of shorted.  I believe Bruce has run this test, I think with the
> inputs open.
> It shows movement on the other axes that are not connected to the DAC.
> This is a serious problem, and must be either in the servo amps or in the
> way grounds are connected.  Since it seems to be happening on multiple
> axes at the same time (Bruce showed a picture of that) it has to be
> something
> that is common to more than one axis.  So, it could be the ground hookup,
> it could be the servo amp power supply, or maybe something else that
> is not occurring to me.

For the test you mention, was the ground wire between the amp (signal
common) and the DAC still in place? If so, it would be interesting to
repeat the test with that ground wire disconnected.

On the power supply that feeds the amps, is its output common grounded
to something? And does the motor return line come back directly to the
power supply common, without connecting to anything else along the way?

Karl