I have only lightly been following this thread.  I have some experience
converting a large hmc and initially not knowing how to hook up the
+/-10 volt signals from the mesa hardware.  Initially testing I sure
hooked it up wrong.  The servos would spit and sputter when outputting a
constant voltage (say 1v from the mesa card).  I ended up looking at the
wiring examples from A-M-C drives site to get some ideas.  IIRC - it
ended up being that I didn't carry the ground from mesa to the amc
drives.  (I figured it was a differential input to the amc drives so I
didn't think I needed to carry a signal ground.  (I guess I did)

I was having an on-going issue with the spindle drive - You could hear
it dropping out every once in a while.  It got worse and finally figured
out I common grounded the HV ground with the signal ground.  Once I
separated that - no issues since.

I really hate analog signals.....  Always have.  :) But I kept plugging
away and asked tons and read a lot.

sam