I am having a hard time understanding how the tool offsets work on a lathe

With our HAAS machines, For the Z I set each tool to a fixed point on the
machine.  Then I set the diameters by machining a bit and measuring the
diameter.

Then I set the G54 Z to the face of the part and leave the G54 X at machine
home.

I am trying to follow this same procedure for EMC and cannot seem to get it
to work.

I set my G54 X to machine home.  My G54 Z to the end of the part.
Then I set my tool 2 (cut off tool) Z to the spindle nose, (fixed point)
(which is where all the tool offset Z are set) and X using the cut a
diameter a measure method.  (basically the same method I use on the HAAS)

However, my relative position on the EMC screen never seems to change
reflecting the tool.  If I set T1 and T2, then in MDI type T1 M6 - I am
thinking that the position should change... from the T2 position.  Every
time I try and run a program I get an error that I am exceeding the limits?

I have been reading the manual but cannot seem to see what I am doing
wrong?  The lathe is a gang style table.

Thanks

--
Brian May