On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 08:15:42PM +0100, andy pugh wrote:
> On 12 October 2011 20:08, Chris Radek <ch...@timeguy.com> wrote:
>
> > Are you just forgetting to invoke G43?
>
> Out of curiosity, would you ever not want to invoke G43? (or, to put
> it another way, why is it not automatic?

One neat thing about the G43 system is that you can apply whichever
offset you want.  For instance, when I have two tools ganged on one
turret position on my lathe, I use T1M6 but might use G43H1 or G43H9.

Even on a mill, I can imagine having (say) a slitting saw with
different offsets for the top edge and the bottom edge; you could pick
the offset based on which side of the cut was the important one.

I don't know whether that's an answer to your question (I agree with
you in thinking you almost always want a tool offset applied), but
it's nice if you can explicitly pick an offset not equal to the T
number.