On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 18:22 +0100, andy pugh wrote:
> On 14 October 2011 16:15, Kirk Wallace <kwall...@wallacecompany.com> wrote:
>
> > the start/stop jerk may become a problem.
>
> Actually, this is possibly a case where you do want jerk-limited (rate
> of change of acceleration) limiting, and that would require the
> as-yet-unwritten limit4 HAL function.
> jerk-limited motion ought to rattle the tools round in the carousel less.

The original carousel used a Geneva drive:
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/atc_manual/bandit_changer-0067.png

which would start/stop for each pocket and move in one direction. If one
wanted to go from T1 to T24, it would rattle the tools 24 times. It
wasn't too bad and I suppose the tools would usually be in sequence, but
I think the upgrade will be worth it.

I went to the shop to install limit3, but got called away. Just in case
anyone is interested, I did take a few of pictures before I left:
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/100_1127-1a.JPG
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/100_1131-1a.JPG
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/100_1133-1a.JPG

I tried to get a shot of the gear motor, but it is black and in a
shadow, so I need to get more light.

Now, I'm going back out to the shop, again.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html