It's turning out that getting my carousel to move is going to be the
easiest part. One of the features I'm trying to build is to use my MPG
to jog the carousel to manually set home and load the pockets. If I
replace my encoder with another that has an index, I could have EMC2
find home automatically. Once home is set, I could load the pockets by
selecting a pocket number, but I thought MPG jogging should not be that
hard to do. Here is how I have HAL setup:
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/shizuoka_hal_ov-1b.png
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/Shizuoka_HAL_OV-1b.svg
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/100_1127-1a.JPG
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/100_1136-1a.jpg

I have some pyvcp buttons to select what the MPG connects to, none, axes
or carousel, another button to set home by resetting to 0 the MPG and
carousel encoder counters, and a button to disable the carousel amp for
testing. One problem I'm trying to address is when I select none, axes,
or carousel, the carousel moves because the carousel position command
source changes. One fix is to sense the carousel enable rising edge and
copy the current position to the MPG counter offset so that both match.
The problem here is that different parts of the system take affect over
time after sensing the pyvcp carousel select button press. The PID sees
a position change and moves during the counter synchronization. Has
anyone done something similar to this and worked out a solution, it
seems the axes jog inputs don't have this problem, or should I just
write a custom carousel component? Another problem is that the carousel
will occasionally move on its own, which seems to indicate that the
pyvcp button state may be seen by edge as mostly on or off even when the
button is not changed by the user. Has anyone seen this happen?

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html