I see the first paragraph of my last post wasn't clear. Here it is
again, hopefully more understandable.

For homing, could you give the PID command a constant ramp (use the
integ component?) until the "home" microswitch closes. At that point,
save the feedback encoder's position as a constant offset (sample_hold
component). For operation, feed the sum the stored offset and the
desired tool position to the PID command to go to the desired tool.

I think you could (should) still use the limit3 component right in front
of the PID command input.

Karl