On Sun, 2011-11-06 at 22:36 -0600, Scott Hasse wrote:
... snip
> It seems the normal way to do this would be to take the input to the
> existing estop-ext signal put that into an or or component and link that
> with the spindle fault and the link the or component to the estop-ext.
>  However, that can't be done in a very modular way from what I can see.
>
> Any opinions on the best way to integrate multiple external estop signals?

It looks like you can program your VFD to use a relay output for a fault
output. I would consider putting this relay in your e-stop loop. So, you
might have an e-stop button, an EMC2 e-stop and other fault relays or
switches wired in series so that if one of them trips, the loop breaks
and releases a relay or relays to the VFD, and servo driver power. The
e-stop loop should be independent of EMC2 so that you won't be relying
on software to invoke the emergency power down, just switches and
relays. The PC can stay powered up, and connect the e-stop input to let
EMC2 know of the e-stop event. EMC2's e-stop out signal should be in the
loop as peer, but the loop should be the mechanism that breaks to power
to the dangerous bits. You might also look into a charge pump which can
monitor a PC or software fault.
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?About_Charge_Pumps

That's what comes to mind so far.

--