On Friday, November 25, 2011 11:17:21 AM kqt4a...@comcast.net did opine:

> Each night I backup my EMC machine home directory to a different
> computer If I leave EMC running I get 'ERROR: Unexpected realtime
> delay'

I'll have to test this myself as I do a backup of:

FQDN    dir          level   MB-IN  MB-OUT CMP% MM:ss  KB/sec MM:SS KB/Sec
shop    /etc            0      10       2  18.1  0:05   399.0  0:00 18140.0
shop    /home           0     530     232  43.7  3:46  1048.5  0:05 47434.6
shop    /root           0     719     269  37.5  6:09   746.3  0:05 55133.6
shop    /usr/lib/amanda 1       0       0   3.3  0:05     0.4  0:00    10.0
shop    /usr/local      0       2       1  27.7  0:01   540.4  0:00  6900.0
shop    /usr/src        0      54      10  17.9  0:19   532.7  0:00 99110.0
shop    /var/lib/amanda 1       3       1  17.2  0:01   661.6  0:00  6030.0

Using amanda, which uses tar

> The rsync cronjob causes this
> I have varied time and disabled job so I am sure of this
> I use 'rsync -vcupotrile ssh' and the files copied are
>
> sending incremental file list
> .d..t...... emc2/configs/FireballCNCV90/
> <fcst...... emc2/configs/FireballCNCV90/emc.var
> <fcst...... emc2/configs/FireballCNCV90/emc.var.bak
>
> sent 540302 bytes  received 497188 bytes  3907.68 bytes/sec
> total size is 4510283718  speedup is 4347.30
>
> Other than 'don't do that' any suggestions

That particular message is only reported the first time it is encountered.
In my case it is at emc startup almost instantly on AXIS drawing the logo's
backplot, but only about 25% of the time.  So obviously you are not seeing
that, then but later.

So I'll make it a point to leave it running after a clean restart, then
check the next morning to see if it has been reported.  FWIW, if I get a
clean start, the only thing I've noted that will cause that error later, is
to fire up some kde-based gfx utility such as kaffeine.  As I often have a
screen with FF running, and a 3rd screen with Konversation running, I have
not noted that either of those can trigger it on my machine.

I found the kaffeine trigger while running the latency-test which had at
that point been returning about a 10 u-sec figure max & started an
installed but useless program since I don't have a tv card in that box, but
the kaffeine startup caused a 400 u-sec latency.  I assume there would be
others just as bad on my box/video card.

In my use of FF & konversation, I don't switch off the emc screen unless it
is halted/paused, because I have never rigged a manual e-stop, and when on
some other screen, the esc focus is not relayed to emc.

Don't ask me how I know that, or how many bits broken or clamps cut into. I
do learn eventually though.  :)

> And a side note, I use pretty much stock LiveCD install
> I use Gnome but hate it and KDE, too bloated and slow
> I would vote for XFCE
> I use it at the office on Centos
>
> Richard

Cheers, Gene
"If you lived today as if it were your last, you'd buy up a box of rockets
and
fire them all off, wouldn't you?"
-- Garrison Keillor