On Friday, December 23, 2011 02:44:33 PM yann jautard did opine:

> Le 22/12/2011 16:33, gene heskett a écrit :
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > First, I guess we start a round of wishing everybody a merry
> > Christmas.
> >
> > Second, the diffs in user number basing between normal systems with
> > the first user at 500, and *buntu system with a first user at 1000 is
> > killing me since all the system utils that one would use for copying
> > a file use the user number&  not the user name, so despite the fact
> > that I am gene on both systems, I can't access genes stuff on the
> > shop machine.
>
> Merry X-mas everybody :)
>
> Why not creating you user on the EMC machine using " useradd -u <your
> UID on the other machines>"
>
> I just gave a try on my machine, useradd -u 500 essai work nicely :)

I sounded like a good idea, but:
[gene@coyote ~]$ ssh shop
gene@shop's password:
Linux shop 2.6.32-122-rtai #rtai SMP Tue Jul 27 12:44:07 CDT 2010 i686
GNU/Linux
Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS

Welcome to Ubuntu!
 * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/

11 packages can be updated.
6 updates are security updates.

Last login: Thu Dec 22 09:38:52 2011 from coyote.coyote.den
gene@shop:~$ sudo useradd -u 500 gene
[sudo] password for gene:
useradd: user 'gene' already exists

So there isn't an obvious way to make the user numbers match between the
*buntu's and the rest of the world.

The last time I tried that, I wound up re-installing to fix it.

Cheers, Gene
It is exactly because a man cannot do a thing that he is a proper judge of
it.
                -- Oscar Wilde