On Friday, December 23, 2011 10:18:29 PM Jon Elson did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > That has been done long ago Mark.  The problem is that on pclos (this
> > box) gene is the first user, with a userid of 500.  On ubuntu, gene
> > is also the first user 1000, so when user 500 tries to copy a file to
> > /home/user=1000 on ubuntu, its 100% no permissions.
> >
> > Now if the copy utilities used the username, and it was the same $name
> > on both machines, there is no clash.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> You should be able to create an alternate user (like gene2) and then
> create a group that allows
> access to both the 500 and 1000 users.  I may have missed the start of
> this thread, I'm guessing
> this is a problem with a NFS file system?  Seems like that would be the
> only time such
> cross-system IDs would matter.

I have the *buntu box mounted at /mnt/shop, a samba share I believe.

>From mounts output:
//shop.coyote.den/shop-slash on /mnt/shop type cifs (rw,mand)

What I would like to be able to do, and which requires scp or sftp to do,
is fire up mc, send one pane to the *buntu box, the other to wherever I
have downloaded an emc useful file to here on this box, and just hit an F5
to copy or an F6 to move it.  I fail to see why such a simple operation,
where I am the user gene on both machines, has to be such a %$#@()&^ pain
in the ass.

Why can't there be an option in these file management utility's to tell
them, not to use the user number for the perms checking, but the user name
instead?  All this bs would disappear in a puff of invisible smoke instead
of all the blue smoke I generate because it takes me 10 minutes to reread
the manpages several times, and likely 20 tries to get the proper command
line syntax constructed from the totally obtuse man pages of scp and sftp.

Could this be such a matter as "security=user" in the cifs.conf files on
both machines?  On checking, that option is set on this box.  And now is
set on shop.coyote.den too, it was share before on that machine.

Humm, mc can now copy stuff, but "fails to chown" the file.  So as I have
an ssh session going as gene, go check, and gene:gene owns everything I
copied there with this copy session.

So, now I have a way to do it without screwing around till my blood
pressure is up 40 points.  Next I need to scan back through this list and
find some code that was uploaded 2 or 3 weeks ago that I need on that
machine.

As for NFS, I have spent many hours trying to configure NFS, but the
failure rate is 100% forever.  I gave up on it when, on another mailing
list I was sent config files guaranteed to work, but never did.  I gave up
on it 3 or 4 installs back and haven't tried since.

That may also be due to the differences in usernum base systems for all I
know.  The error messages are obtuse and rarely make sense to those who
claim to know something about NFS.  Can't get sockets and such.

I'd better git-r-done for the night Jon, thanks for listening.

> Jon

Cheers, Gene
Military secrets are the most fleeting of all.
                -- Spock, "The Enterprise Incident", stardate 5027.4