if i knew better, i would say that updates are not generally really evil things.

--- On Fri, 1/6/12, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

From: gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] An alternative way to make encoders.
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Friday, January 6, 2012, 6:26 AM

On Friday, January 06, 2012 08:41:29 AM Peter Blodow did opine:

> Gene, no worry, things aren't so bad. You just specified a little too
> many http's and www's in your URL. It works now, I saw your machinery.
> Looks much more tidy than my shop and what's in it. But I haven't done
> much work there last year, all around. Had to get used to being
> retired... I think I have to take up EMC anew when I restart it, new
> releases, new OS, maybe new PC. That threatens me a bit and kinda keeps
> me off it.
>
> Peter

Well, I might have a bit of that myself, but the update process is so
automatic (thanks release guys for hooking it into the update process so
transparently) that I have had zero problems maintaining my machine to the
latest emc2.4.7-some-hash-number releases.

All the pain that usually accompanies an update is missing, and as long as
the hardware keeps working, I can still keep carving stuff.

So ATM, I am waiting, some would say with "baited" breath, for the new box
to arrive Monday (theoretically), so I can install the latest cd, plug in a
network cable after the reboot, and let it update itself which with my
bandwidth could take up Tuesday. :( Then configure amanda, recover my
nc_files and configs trees from the amanda server (this machine), reinstall
it all in the shop building & maybe get back to carving pcb bits and pieces
for the lathe encoder, which is where I was when the Mach Speed V2DP board
developed a severe case of heartburn.

As for retired?  TPTB never let that happen completely, I am waiting for my
phone to ring, Russ calling to see if I can be packed for a trip to Iron
Mountain MI in his airplane & see if I can resuscitate that transmitter one
more time.  I suspect its the final tube, the problem then is can I still
get one, plus if I can, its about 8-10 grand.  That box is almost 40 years
old, and unique in the country because all the rest like it were turned off
and scrapped out after June 30, 2008.  It is an NTSC box that I put a
digital exciter in 2 years ago since my theory is that an amplifier with
sufficient bandwidth shouldn't care what its src signal looks like.  Its
worked fairly well when it worked, but none too dependable, stuff is just
plain too old and well up the far end of that famous dependability bathtub
curve every body has seen at one time or another.  Pneumatic based timing
relays don't, etc, so warmup constraints aren't well met, that sort of
thing.  Some of those I have replaced with modern and smaller Honeywell
timers driving a T-Bar power relay, but its still in the bottom 15" of the
cabinet & hard to get at for an old fart.

Come to think of it, I'm describing myself I guess.  I don't always work so
well either these days. :(  Damn floor gets farther away every year I
swear. :P)

Couple that with Dee's not feeling well, picked up some sort of a bug,
about a week back, a cold or ??, I hope I can leave for 3 days.  ATM I'd
druther not, but we'll see if she has improved by the time Russ is ready to
make the trip.  COPD is a killer but I'd druther not help it by leaving for
too long.

Retired?  Naw.  The job description might get updated, but retired is a
state of mind, too close to the end & I'll put it off as long as I can.  My
2nd wife was always waiting for me to finish the current thing, and once
said "Dammit, you'll be late for your own funeral" & I replied that I fully
intended to be... :)

Cheers, Gene
The state of innocence contains the germs of all future sin.
        -- Alexandre Arnoux, "Etudes et caprices"